Sunday, September 3, 2023

The Weather man lied!

 I paid careful attention to the forecast and it looked like our weather was going to be in the 70s.  HA!!

Our adventure started out with Claire imparting her French abilities by translating the French version of the Airplane Safety information for me.   I slept pretty well, apparently as Claire said the ride was pretty rough and I did not know that.  The plane actually flew Over the north of Paris so, we got a glimpse of my GF prior to arrival. 


 Customs,  this time was not as smooth as last, only in that it took much longer and somehow we were the LAST in line off of our plane.  Somebody has to be last I guess. 

  Amazons that we are we went to the market after depositing our bags in the house, Mark the  “attendant”” was not here on our arrival, but he lives 2 or 3 doors down, so he was here toute d’suite.

The market was as full of color, smells and noise as usual, we bought some cheese,  ham and salami, and fruit for breakfast. Claire got a little treat from a vendor.   


  We decided we were hungry so we (I) copped out and we went to the Italian joint on the corner. Clare had a pizza and I had Lasagna, and we both had a glass of wine, probably not the wisest as at least I was only more tired after lunch..  BUT we had to keep going!  So after depositing our goods in the house, we sent to Monoprix, Claire seemed to like it as much as I!  We came back, unpacked and we went to Trocadero via the Metro  to get a first up close glimpse of my Girl friend. 


 Claire was suitably impressed, and as always my heart melted!  





There is a new thing called Le Grand Palais Emphemere for the Olympics (which to quote Jodi, is crapping it up) at the back of the Champs du Mars.  We dined near there at a place I have been to several times, but is nothing special.  

We were both pooped.  


This morning we got up and went to a substitute patisserie as the usual one is closed on Sunday.  I got a mini crossiant and Claire got a raisin goodie.  



Accompanied by our purchases form yesterday it was yummy.  We went to mass at St Germain des Pres.  

It was lovely, and I had a bear of a time following the sermon in my limited French, but it was a very nice experience. 

 I am always amazed to know that I am worshiping in a place that others have worshiped for hundreds of years.  We had a 1:30PM ticket to the D’Orsay.  



We stopped for lunch at Laduree which was on the list of things I wanted Claire to expedience, I had a millefueille, and Claire had a tarte Fraise Vervine, both yummy and the setting is a lovely experience too.  My coffee was served in a little silver pitcher accompanied by a second silver pitcher with warm milk.  At the D’Orsay,  It was fun to see old friends (paintings and sculpture, etc.) 





and see some new ones. 


 This painting of Caillebotte, was new to the museum and lovely.  I listened to a book recently about a woman who was doing research on him so it was fun.  Claire liked this painting by Van Gough particularly well. It was amazing to see the Starry Night up close, if I have ever seen it before I don’t remember it.

After we perused the museum we stopped for a drink and then returned to the house to rest a bit before dinner.  


We had 7 PM reservations for Bistrot du Henri.  We were a but late and he tried to give me the run around that we had cancelled our reservations.  I wondering if old Henri is getting too big for his britches.  The bad thing is that the food is still delish, we shared chèvre with honey on toast on a salad,


and I had Margaret Du Canard  and Au gratin potatoes with honey sauce (Eat your heart out Dean!) and Claire had Pork filet with Roquefort sauce and fettuccini. We wandered back up rue du Buci and Rue Dauphine to Pont Neuf.  

Via Amorino, they have cherry gelato for the summer, it was refreshing and just enough for dessert. 


 The sky was a delicious shade of pink and the old Eiffel was lit up in the distance.

A good but hot day, the temp clocked in at 89. AND let’s just say we walked off MUCH of the yummy goodness.

 

 






No comments:

Post a Comment