Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Seeing Red

Breakfast this morning consisted of Croissants, Coffee, OJ, Rice Pudding, Various Cheese, Ham, and Jellies.  It was served in a lovely room, complete with family pet. 



We went off to find the American Cemetary and as usual with France, things have changed, though this IS the American Cemetary.  

I had to powder my nose and was fascinated by this spigot/dryer combination in the bathroom..  Made it pretty fun to wash your hands!


We went to the museum piece and it is amazing what new stuff you see  when you come again.  I am also wondering,  struck by nurses who die in service, as you would think medical folks should be safer.  


And the medics were woefully under supplied!!


I have this French book, wonder where my Grandpa got it?


Jeeps were invented for this war, and they were called after a comic book character.



The absolute loss of life, let alone the collateral woe that was caused by this effort to maintain freedom, is astounding. Our kids should absolutely know about this.  








Reflecting Pond at top of the memorial museum 

Claire has a neighbor, whose 2 great uncles died in the Normandy invasion and we found the graves and Claire too pictures for them.  I had to do a little bit of fancy footwork to get permission to walk on the grass ( (you used to be able to just wander) so Claire could take those photos. 



Someone else had been on the grass, I think it amazing that folks bring flowers still!




We were saddened at the behavior of folks and the pictures that they took, absolute disregard for the sacrifice, not so much at the cemetery, but at other memorial places.

We found a cider place and I succumbed to a bottle or the most delicious cider, and something called Pommeau.


A bottle to drag home and sip, sip…..

It was time for lunch and the Laurent the B&B guy, Laurent, suggested a little town, but we could not really find much place to go, until We were standing in line and I see arrows….



We had a crepe called a Cambette, and it was yummy and fun to get food from a crepe truck..  There were several guys in military garb and I thought they were speaking German, but it was Dutch, and they were there on an educational experience.  I think that a fine thing! They were also at the cemetery and a bunch of young girls were chatting them up.  I got my turn at lunch.  

We did find the place Laurent had mentioned, and wandered around a bit, still amazing at how did those guys climb up there under enemy fire?




Pont Du Hoc is different too, roped off so much of it is not accessible, but Claire seemed to feel like she got what she needed, so I am a bit spoiled by past times.  






There was an absolutely ugly American in a red shirt, spouting off about how we saved France while the French saved their art.  I really wanted to grab him by the short hairs and tell him how it is, but another lady was ineffectually trying to reason with him.  What is that saying, oh yes, ”you can’t fix stupid”.  But seriously what an entitled ass, he has no idea.

Nor do I really but I am so grateful that i don’t.

I was overwhelmed being near SO much butter.


This is a brand of butter, and I imagined all of that luscious yellow butter.

St Mere Eglise was another fun experience but by a not so sweet French Guy this time.  We pulled in and a car was pulling out, so we waited and pulled in just as another car tried to pull in front of us.  He pulled up right behind our car so that the alarm was going off. I got out to find out what the matter was and ha waved a handicapped sticker at me.  Who knew that there are tiny little wheel chairs painted in the lines around the spaces.  So we moved the car, because who can argue with that, though I had to laugh as if he had parked in the non Handicap spot he wold have been closer to where he was going.  Red seemed to be the theme of the day.  




Because of course I had to get parking paid and spied where they were going.  

Said red car.

We had a coffee and a quick look in the church and were on our way to the beach!

We shared the bottle of lovely cider, or at least what we could reasonably drink, after, well lets say we christening the sea wall.  






I was untying the wire around the cork and POP and it flew only the good Lord know where and cider went everywhere.  Yum, but alas I had to drive.  To my dismay, I never did find that wire and cork. 


We wandered  along the sea to Utah Beach and there is not a memorial to the navy there. It was pretty cool to see one of the boats the men came in on.  









This was in the middle of no where, Claire was amazed at how people put up these memorials and still bring flowers. 



We got gas on the way back, I am thinking we should not complain.



Dinner was back in Bayeaux,


we did not have reservations and I thought maybe we were going to bed hungry but we went in a pizza place and they had more than pizza. We had ham with a Normandy sauce and frites, but it was very good.  



Of course a glass of cider, but it was not as yummy as what we had on the beach.  We got a little lost on our way home last night, but tonight we did well.








No comments:

Post a Comment