Monday, October 28, 2019

Dégas, Sleeping Beauty and Angels


We both slept late, trying to recover I think from the drive and harrowing return of the voiture (car) to the airport.  There is a temporary exhibit called Degas a la Opera at the D’Orsay,
I don’t usually get to lucky and I wanted to see it! So off we went to stand lin line because of our hedonistic morning.  I just love people watching and this charming guy was drawing his children and they were all drawing each other,  they were just a delightful family to watch.  He was not so bad either.
The exhibit was fun though I had to laugh as I had seen a lot of it before because several pieces were on loan from the U.S..  But it as interesting to see the progression of his work.  I laugh as when you go to art museums, every little prep sketch is often in the museum too and I wonder if the artist knew that someday that little piece of nothing to him/her would be in a museum.  
I have always liked Degas and I wonder how much of it still has to do with my desire as a child to take ballet classes, or if it is the tulle dresses.


We needed some lunch and I lead Jodi down the path of ham in her quiche, not a good thing but my Thai chicken soup was amazing!   We were right next to the impressionist  ( Monet, Degas, Renoire, MAnet......) section of the museum and wandered through there as well just to réimpression those images on my brain.  There are some that just make my heart swell as I look ( I love the French word for this, regarde)  at them.  
We then walked ( well actually Metro’ed) to Reed to take Catherine another painting I had done of her restaurant, and stumbled on this store with the tiniest little macaroons I have ever seen in the window, so I had to buy one or two, I ate one, the mango passion fruit, and YUM.
We took the painting to Catherine, and chatted a bit, and waked toward the Eiffel Tower, Jodi wanted a coffee I have to admit that the aging process does not do much for me, but it does offer the opportunity for a lot more coffee breaks which I think are fun an all get out, so, a deliver lining!  
By then though it was time to head toward supper.  I simply love looking at the posters in the Metro,  there I was enchanted by this play on the Sleeping  Beauty story

and got a kick out of taking Jodi’s photo by this one.

Dinner was at L’Ange 20 near Place du Voges and we stopped at a Monoprix on the way so I could look for mascara.  They kindly had a végétarien plate for Jodi,
and my meal of fois gras with onion compote and a main of a sort of beef stew in potatoes, and then granitized was amazing!  We sat by a couple of Dutch women and the lilt of their language was a warm comfortable memory of my Grandparents.  We skipped dessert again as we had wine to drink back the house.  

No comments:

Post a Comment