Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Where are the falls?

Yesterday we headed out to Boone and to see waterfalls.  Why Boone?  Well, it is the location of the anchor store for Cheap Joes.  It is amidst the Blue Ridge parkway and I thought we would be able to easily find the falls I had noted on a tourist map at the B&B.  Not so much,  we collectively wonder if the GPS is set somehow on scenic.  (On a side note: I am experiencing an oral orgasm as I write over my breakfast! - OMG it is a multiple) So off we went on US 40 East and when we got off we were just sure that we were on the verge of finding falls, even followed signs to Linville Falls and lo and behold it was a small town in the mountains no falls to be found.  We found ourselves « At the top of old Smokey » and in the town of Boone.  And eventually ( thanks to GPS) found the Cheap Joes Anchor Store.  


It had a nice shady area to park the car so  Jodi could sit and read while I browsed.  It was not all I expected.  It says it is an outlet, so there was that expectation as well as I thought it would be bigger than the Asheville store.  It was not.  It was about she same size, still did not have my Senellier Water Color paints in the store, and no « different » ( or maybe I should say interesting eting) brushes.  So I bought some metallic pans (not available in the catalogues ) and a small treat for a friend. 

We discussed lunch/dinner but the clerk said it was move in at the local college (who knew?) and we best avoid Boon for dining so we headed back intent on  finding the Parkway proper and those aforementioned Falls.  We did find the parkway and it has lovely vistas, but no falls, no signs for falls, no notice or indication on the GPS of falls.  







We ended up dining in Black Mountain as it is a cute little town we had visited before and we were not in the mood to struggle with driving is a unknown city.

We had Pizza at « My Fathers Pizza en Pasta » after it was recommended to us by a local.  I had a Cesar and Jodi had Bruchetta which she shared.  The Pizza was our usual and overall I would give it a 7 out of 10.  We sat outside which allayed our Covid concerns a bit.  It is so hard to know what to do and what not to do right now.  


It rained a bit off and on as we drove but it opened up just as we were getting out of the car to come in for the night.  This morning is bright and sunny! And the B&B owner has promised we will see falls today!


O.K. So I have to write as I eat, i am not sure I can do my breakfast justice, however I think in the moment may be the key.  Breakfast here is a 2 course event, this morning it was started with a berry cloud with blue berries and strawberries, with a « cloud » of sour cream and vanilla in the center.  It was heavenly.  I am not fond of blueberries other than in baked goods,but this was amazing I did just resist licking the bowl.  


This was followed by a waffle (of which I am not fond either but still…….) with strawberry compote, a little pitcher of melted butter and maple syrup, accompanied by bacon with brow sugar and pecans.  The explosion of flavors and the teasing out of them as I chew is amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment