Monday, August 9, 2021

Stamp AWAY 2021

 After much saving of pennies and waiting I got to go to Stampaway 2021.  Since there was not a 2020 version I had saved plenty of pennies. The convention was good, spread out, but still crowded with mostly unmasked individuals.  I started wearing again a couple of weeks ago, it is a cheap, easy way to protect myself, my loved ones and others.  So…..

I did not spend all my hard saved pennies, but made quite a dent.  Found some lovely Paris, Amsterdam  and Italian stamps to play with as well as a car stamp for my man cards, Some dies to cut out items like a unicorn and windmill,  and general useful items for both stamping and watercolor.  It was odd to not be going home to play with my new toys anytime soon.   The hotel we stayed in is NOT a do over and it is a pity as in the past it was a Residence Inn (this was our go to place for years) by Marriott and is now a Sonesta.  Our clothing (Fortunately  we  only took in small bags with the Weekends clothing but still my jammies….) smelled like smoke on arrival here last night.  UGH!  I could not find reasonable reservations but I think seriously planning ahead in is order here as I do not  wish a repeat.  NO sugar for my coffee, screaming and yelling late into the night outside, and no plug for the bath tub for a bath ( HA!, I carry my own!) all add up to « No Return »!

I am still grieving the loss of Le Petite France as a dining option and our (my) dining experience in Cincinnati this year was a bust too, but that is a story best left out.

The drive here took us right past the exit for PARIS.  It was uneventful and not bad, though I told Jodi when we are both retired and traveling I think 4 hour a day limits on our driving as my old derrière gets stiff.  

We got here about 6PM and the only local place to dine was a brewery about 5 minutes away and it closed a 7PM. Off we went and had edible food, but a lovely atmosphere.  Probably better, were we beer drinkers, though my glass of wine was o.k. I had a flatbread and Jodi a pretzel without cheese as they did not tell us that they were out until it arrived.  She took it much better than I would have.  I did have a bit of inspiration as she likes pimento cheese and they had a pimento cheese burger so I asked for some of that as a replacement.  I don’t think it thrilled her though.  




The Engadine INN is everything I had hoped for.   









A lovely old home, outside of Asheville (so peaceful)  with all of the atmosphere I anticipated.  I have to laugh at myself as I think staying in a B&B is not always the most physically convenient but it it delightful.

Our room has a King size bed and a slipper tub, I do have to inquire about hot water as I took a rather tepid bath last night, but I survived.  




Breakfast this morning has consisted of a fruit, yogurt and granola cup ( it was Delish) and a Ham and Egg & Cheese  Croissant.  YUM!





Not sure what the day holds yet, but is supposed to rain the next few days and this may be the only good day to walk……

No comments:

Post a Comment