Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Disappointed in Devouring

As usual I « saved » ‘myself for dinner out with a friend.  We were going to Iozzos food Devour Downtown.  We have been going there for many years, often during Devour, but « »off season » too, as my friend delights in their Lobster Ravioli.  

About an hour before she texted and said that it was not participating in Devour this time.  Disappointed, as I was fantasizing about the fillet that was always on the Devour menu, I remembered a time when I had spied other items that looked interesting and I said let’s still go.  

So we did.  There is a complete new menu and cook staff, which has little resemblance to the menu I last encountered in the early spring. The waiter seemed to understand the loyalty of old customers and tried his best to put a positive spin on it.  I perusing the wine list and was offered a Montepulciano for $9.00 a half liter.  o.k.  Pasta/red sauce wine., and it was o..k. We ordered fried ravioli and it was good.  It paired with the raviole fairly well.  So trying to rearrange my mind from steak to pasta was a bit more difficult and there were several dished that after perusing the menu left me in doubt, but in the end, and in spite of his recommendation to do the seafood ravioli, i went with the cheese ravioli.  My friend, though went with his recommendation as she had been dreaming about the old Lobster Ravioli.  

It came with a salad or we could change out to a Caesar  ( which upgraded to the tune of $3.00 a person).  It lacked the anchovy element and was predominantly lemon.  It was just not something I had to Devour.  

When our foot arrived I tentatively speared a mushroom with my fork and popped in my mouth, it was a burst, and I mean burst of something I later defined as lemon and vinegar.  I went for a ravioli & mushroom bite which also assaulted my taste buds.  Honestly someone should take the lemon and salt away from the chef.  Just remove it from the kitchen.  I believe in salt, it is a good thing, but in this case it was too much of a good thing.  I am still thirsty this morning as I write.  


My friend Dawn and I went to Iozzos tonight, it was a total disappointment . 

So this morning I made myself a Pear with BtterScotch sauce for the recipe I the nice guys at the Engadine shared.  It is a balm to my soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment