Monday, October 9, 2017

In a Mist

This place must have been something once!  Actually it still is, we are staying at the Hillcrest Inn and it is lovely!  Out room is floral, canopied bed, and cozy.  For which I am grateful as it is pouring This morning as I write!




Our arrival was fairly boring, which is good. The trip was uneventful, I drove.  We stopped at at Waffle House for brunch/lunch, where I had cheesy eggs, hash browns and rasian toast.  Nothing like a little greasy spoon food to start our a trip, later I was to be sorry I did not eat my last piece of toast!
Jodi gave me some playful grief about my choice of dining establishments.  I drove, Jodi drove, and then at the end I drove some more.  With the most excellent help of Siri we got here, I really should quit calling her a bitch!  When she is good she's really good, and when she's not, no one can read my texts.  
Anyway, we got here,I was wowed by the place,  but we were hungry and it was only 7:30ish so off we went to the closest place to dine, the Red Coach Inn. I had looked at this place but it was booked (and incredibly expensive anyway if my memory serves me well).  But eating there sounded intriguing. It was a short walk and while there were tables galore, we had to wait.  O.K.  So we waited.  I was good though I did not tear anyone's arm off and chew on it!
Finally we got seated, the space was great, like anything one would expect right out of a old dining establishment in England.  Dark wood, pained windows, table clothes on the tables.  It stopped there though.
 The waitress finally came.  We ordered a beverage and I inquired about the vegetarian dish which, sounded devine, and she said it is really not her favorite, "the kitchen is inconsistent with it and it can come out looking doughy". SO I ordered mushroom soup and Jodi ordered mashed potatoes and green beans, sides of each.  She said she would be right back with some bread.  Good, I did not have to ask for it!  And we waited.  And we waited.  As we sat there I started wondering if we had locked the car and then I got mad as those villains in France were still affecting my life. Robbery PTSD!  Jodi asked me what I was thinking and with great trepidation I told her.  Now we were both reliving our France trip, and we waited.  Finally I said "Let's go, and Jodi sad "no , what are you going to eat?"  I said "nothing, and at this point I don't feel like eating".  So we waited a few more minutes, and I said, "really, let's leave, I am irritated, let's just pay for your drink and go."  So I asked someone who we could pay for her libation and it turned into ......   The waitress, in response to my irritation with not even getting any bread yet, said  "we normally don't serve bread with appetizers", and I said "you are not making anything better, by making excuses, you said you would e right back with bread."  At the end of the day, they comped the beverage and back we came to the car to check.  IT was locked after all.  It is amazing how much a victimization, or witnessing violence of any sort ( I still have mini moments backing out of my garage after hitting a couple of cars I my driveway) can impact our brains.  
After that fiasco we walked back down to the falls and wondered at the natural falls, the mist and the craziness that man has applied in the periphery.
This morning didn't really dawn so much  as poured in.  It is falling down in buckets, making me glad for the hiking shoes and rain coat in the car.  This is the sort of place I have always wanted to live, but have been too big a chicken.  I lack the repairman skills it would require.  Fortunately Jodi is o.k. with my proclivity for B&Bs and I get to at least spend a few nights here and there in fabulous old houses.  Maybe it is better this way, I get some variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment