Saturday, May 26, 2018

Paris Encore

It is so good to be back in MY city.  But first I have to tell the tale of getting here, as it is a good one!  Kathy and Dean took me to the airport.  Kathy said something about this new flight  being  a big deal, wondered at not seeing the Press and I commented that I expected to see the press, but maybe at the gate.  I checked my bags without difficulty and wandered toward the gate, began discerning the strains of La Vie en Rose and noticed an Eiffel Tower in the main greeting space.


Wow, it might be a bit of a deal after all.  I walked out to the glass hallway to go to  gate A5 and there was a big mural there too about the flight. Nice!

When I got to the point that I. Had to turn right to go to the gate there was a sign that said that the area was closed for an event.  And an event it was!  There was food

(appetizers and sweets), beverages,  music, free pins and luggage tags that indigate the inaugural flight, a photo booth and speeches!  I took a quick look, and got in line for food, I had a fingerling potatoes stuffed with Camembert, some Brie, blue cheee and a cracker, a ratatouille Wellington with pesto, a god stuffed with goat cheese and a tiny chocolate mousse, and some fruit.



No alcohol but sparkeling lemonade was a good accompaniment.  I wandered in to listen to the speeches, kids from the Interntaitonal school spoke in French and English,  A priest blessed this voyage, and then the assistant to the governor, the mayor and some big wigs from Delta spoke.  Mostly I liked the blessing!  I went then to get my picture taken and was next in line when I got “bumped” by the big wigs from Delta.  Hmm this was to be just the first of my examples of white male privilege (WMP) from this bunch.  I could not bring myself to do goofy glasses or a silly hat, but could hold up my truth.

The flight was the most painless trip to Paris ever!  The ravioli I got stuck with (at the back of the plane) was actually pretty good and it came with wine! We arrived, moseyed throughout the airport towards customs.  Here agin I saw that WMP as this same folks who bumped me just didn’t do as asked by the personnel there, they jumped line and were in and out of customs in a flash.  Grrr.
The taxi driver was very funny would NOT speak French to me, he told me that his English was better than my French, and honestly he is right.  He spent a year in Scotland and was funny and is most likely my ride back to the airport.  He also offered to take me to a castle or herd me around town and that if we did that he might speak French to me.  LOL. It might be worth it just to have the French lessons!
He dropped me off at the door and Simone was at the door to greet us.  She is s charming lady about my age who is a social worker but can not find work under the new regime. Hmmmm maybe there is a reason that Trump and Macron got along so well.  I have to admit that I supported him, but as a lesser evil.  Why does it seem to always have to come to that in an election?
Anyway the apartment/house is amazing.  Three floors:  The basement has a laundry area, sofa (probably a pullout) and a desk.  The main floor has a sitting area, and the kitchen.



And the bedroom and bathroom upstairs are adorable,

I think maybe this is one of the best places ever, only one though as there have been a couple other “do overs” in our past.
I was pooped though due to circumstances with work and sleep so I did the very think I tell people not to do which was took a nap!  Then I got up and went for that long awaited Tartare Du Boeuf, whith fries and a glass of wine.

 It was as good as I had dreamed!  I had the same prime seat as I had last year, but this year it was not hot and I was glad to be sort of inside as it was sprinkling off and on with the threat of a good rain.  I attempted to sketch something to paint later and paired that with some sorbet.  The pear was delish and the cassis was TART.
I’d have the pear again, not the cassis, although it is beautiful.
From there I went to our park behind Notre Dame.  There is a lot of  “crapping up” here, ( what JOdi calls “work” on the streets, buildings up - which make it hard to get nice photos) but I sat and knitted and people watched, sketched some more, and finally moseyed back via the souvenir shops. I am thinking that there is a pretty umbrella with the Eiffel Tower on it that may need to come home with me!

1 comment:

  1. How fun to be on the Inaugural flight, WMP notwithstanding. Cute place to stay! Hope the rest of your trip is as wonderful as your Tartare du Boeuf!

    ReplyDelete