Monday, October 23, 2023

Jour Paresseux (Lazy Day French) 10-20-23

 Yesterday was maybe our laziest beach day yet, but we put on the most steps?  We got up, after coffee and went to the beach.  It was a lovely day and I had a great time piddling with that new bamboo paper (the verdict is still out), playing with trying to put figures in a piece and just generally working on my waves without the advantage of miscut.


I piddled with the image of 2 little girls playing on the beach so gave the piece rough as it was to the presumed parents before we left.
 

The tent is a God-send!  I got a little pink yesterday but it has allowed up to be together and allowed Jodi the opportunity to fry herself.  


WE went for a couple of walks


and read a bunch. It’s sort of funny that Jodi and I are both reading about Heloise and Abelard, as Jodi is reading our book for book group and I am reading fiction about a young woman from the Middle Ages.

I just love watching the darned Seagulls.  It is amazing how some of them just blend right in with the beach.  



Think they get to choose that?

For dinner we got cleaned up, sort of, and went to dinner in Savannah, at a French place called Circa 1875. 



 It was interesting, it was very fun inside, full of “French” (and victorian) stuff, crowded and loud.  The menu was not completely Jodi friendly so we had to ask some questions and figure out a menu for her.  And in the end it was still a bit surprising..

I had seared fois gras on toast with a peach sauce that was Devine! It was accompanied with a small “salad” with a limey dressing that left a bit to be desired.  It fought with the flavors of the fois gras. So not too much greens for me.  Jodi had French Onion soup which she said was good.  Then she had ratatouille (Jodi says it is spelled H O T) and I had Margaret du canard with mashed potatoes and Blueberry sauce.

  The Duck Breast was yummy, but the potatoes were thin, and HERBY.  The dish was also covered with herbs, I am thinking less herbs, a bit less water and the dish cold have been better, how do you say that to the manager when they come around without being a pill?  For dessert we had an alleged Chocolate Mousse, BUT here too the place fell short.



  The beauty of chocolate mousse is 2 things: egg whites whipped into a meringue and VERY carefully folded into Good melted chocolate. Whoever made this mousse was a bit vigorous in thier ”folding” and  the chocolate was definitely not “”Good” chocolate.  I am also NOT a chocolate snob, but the percentage of cocoa matters. This was not a BAD experience, I would go back. Well maybe after trying the other high end French restaurant in town, 45 Bistro. It just had less Jodi friendly options for this time. That said Jodi’s ratatouille was smoking hot, and I don’t think I have ever had ‘south of the border” ratatouille. Though I must admit I have only had it a couple of times as it is not my cup of tea. The other thing I have to say for this restaurant is that they had a great wine list, I got to have a Cahors!

No comments:

Post a Comment