Sunday, October 14, 2012


Last evening we met some of our IAFN buddies near the condo they had rented.  They had stumbled on a little bar,  called Las Olas, that has tapas.  It was not an easy find, but it was worth it.  We had some awesome sangria, fried cheese with cranberry chutney and a shrimp cocktail.  The little outdoor bar sat on the right on the water and was frequented by the locals.  A couple of sangrias later we were ready for bed. 
This morning was lazy, I got up and had a couple of cups of coffee, computed and waited patiently on Jodi to rise and shine.  We decided to start out for old San Juan.  On the way we encountered  revolving blue lights, it appeared to be a police accompanied convoy of folks who were campaigning for the upcoming elections.  One vehicle had a HUGE boom box, and we passed them, and then stopped to get a better look.  They waved as if we were going to vote here as they drove by!  The driving here is CRAZY, no rhyme or reason for how the roads are set up, how people choose to pass, or  go around you on the right!  In addition, a 30 mile trip takes about an hour and a half.  My I-phone is working like a dream, both the new technology and the old, and we drove right into where we wanted to be.  There was a festival going on over the weekend and we got to do some local handicraft shopping, and listen to some music and theater, while we walked around.  We went to San Cristobal first and moseyed around, it was HOT and Humid with hardly a breeze.  It is amazing to see such an old edifice, to consider the history contained in the walls.  We were both starving, so I chatted up the national park employee at the fort and she suggested El Jarberita, a local place.  I had a veal stew and beans and rice, Jodi got all brave on me and tried Mofongo, which she seemed to like!  For dessert she tried Flan, a sure thing since she likes Creme Brulee.  Then we walked towards Castillo San Felipe del Morro which is along the waterfront.  

Still being blessed by the festival, we were serenaded as we walked which was very pleasant.  The Castillo was closed when we arrived, however we enjoyed the sunset and the breeze afforded us as we sat and watched the sun go down.  As we walked back towards the music, we encountered these two modern lovebirds, all cozied up both intimately involved with their cell phones!  I had saved room for ice cream, which here is more of a sorbet, and the cocoanut ice was heavenly in the sticky heat.  We found a grocery, which was astonishingly compact, and well stocked.  One of my buddies said I was not going to find half and half here, and guess what?  I did!  So cream for my coffee in the morning!  We wandered in and out of a few souvenir shops and just as we were near our car park, it began to rain.  One more surprise was in store for us, as we drove home there was a parking lot full of school busses with the most amazing lighting!   Bed is calling, as I have an early dive time in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment