Friday, July 17, 2009

I did it, I did it, I really really did it!


In Indianapolis, Indiana, we have a SANE program at each major hospital.  What is a SANE?  SANE is the acronym for Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner.  There are five adult & adolescent programs and one pediatric program in our city.  Once we had our programs open at each hospital it was readily apparent that we needed money, lots of money, if we were going to send our nurses off to be trained in order to keep enough nurses to staff our programs. The coordinators for the programs, very self servingly began educating their own, and occasionally others for profit, a couple of years after we all opened our doors.  We conduct SANE training courses each semester and have been educating people for over 10 years now.

This work can be very toxic and we all have issues with turn over, and then there are some people who take the class but conveniently do not complete their clinicals.   My, big picture friend Paula, dreamed up a “refresher course”, which we coordinated for the first time in 2008.  This refresher course would re-educate the folks who truly did want to do the work but for some valid reason did not get the clinical work done. We have a slush fund as a result of the few paying customers we have had in the traditional course and we provided breakfast and lunch last year for the refresher course with those funds.  This year we had one paying customer, and did not want to dig into our slush fund.  We decided that we would provide the food ourselves and I decided to extend my Croissant making skills into making enough for 20 people. 

Tuesday evening I was relaxing in my chair “Facebooking” and realized that if I was going to have croissants ready for Thursday I was going to have to get to work immediately. 11:00PM Tuesday night I found myself preparing the dough so it would be ready to pound out Wednesday morning.  But wait, I had a 0800 meeting Wednesday!  If I got up early it would be too soon, the dough would not be proofed and if I waited until I got home from work it would really be too late.  I am very blessed in that I am salaried and have some flexibility, so I left my meeting and raced home for lunch to beat the butter into thin slabs and roll out the dough.  I decided that I did not have enough dough for 20 people, so I made a second batch, which I could roll out later that evening. 

Today I got up at 5 AM and began the final step of   rolling, folding and rolling again.  My favorite step is the rolling ad shaping of the actual croissant into little crescent shaped pillows. The gentle tugging and rolling of the dough makes my heart sing, maybe because arriving at this step in the process means I am nearly done.  They bake for about 15-18 minutes. And the training I got at Cookin with Class from my instructor Pino, gave me not only the skills but also knowledge and confidence to make those lovely flaky, golden treats!

The Class loved them, and to be honest so did I!

 

(croissant |k(r)wäˈsänt; -ˈsä n |noun

a French crescent-shaped roll made of sweet flaky pastry, often eaten for breakfast.

ORIGIN late 19th cent.: French (see crescent ). The term had occasionally been recorded earlier as a variant of crescent.) ad

Oxford American Dictionary

No comments:

Post a Comment