Tuesday, September 10, 2019

NOLA NOW

I grew up VERY near where the worst aviation incident in Indiana history took place.  I remember riding the bus home from Triton West at the age of 10, I remembrer hearing the explosion, but having no idea what it was until the next day.  We were right there, not 500 yards from where the plane eventually hit, by the time the plane hit, the bus was already in the tiny town I grew up in..  My parents kept me pretty well shielded form the horror, but there was still playground talk, sensational to 10 year olds, and then that following summer too, was my first year at church camp and the stories told around the campfire of « Yellow MIke » the arm that would sneak up on you in the dark and get you., was made more real by this tragedy.  I was so terrified that one dark winter evening as I was taking my Great Grandfather dinner, singing hymns at the top of my voice, so God knew I was there, in the dark, scared, alone; a neighbor opened the door and yelled « shut up ».  SO that was 50 years ago yesterday. There as a memorial service and a big write up in the local paper, which I devoured last evening, before getting on a plane today.  I read the names of each of the dead in my own private memorial ceremony.  I wondered at their day before getting on the plane, their hopes, dreams, agonies.  There was a priest and a couple of Sisters.  NO kids, though, 20’s and up.  Some names thé same, maybe families?  Did I mention I have a genius IQ?  As evidenced by my behavior last night.  
SO today when we hit turbulence, probably thanks to Dorian, it was a bit worrisome, we made it here though, to New Orléans, to the IAFN conference.  
This year the hotel is nothing to wax on about, it is basic high rise hotel fare. 
 I am sure that there is more charm here if that is what you want.  (I usually do) We went to NOLA as a group of about 12 of us, with reservation and they acted as if we did not have one.  

To my disappointment they  seated us separately, while it was nice to visit with the other 5 at my table, it would have been nice for us to have been allowed to natter in a group.  My Salmon with rice and okra was OKish, aboût a 3 out of 10, some of the okra so tough I was not sure I would get it chooked down and no paper on the table to spit discretely into.  Yea they for being ecological,but still, sook the darned  okra, or at least not so woody! My wine, house red, was amazing, and we shared a cocoanut crème brûlée which was a wonderfully tropical twist on a restaurant dessert staple.  Hmmm. I wonder if I can............ .. Time to rest and get ready  for a full day of learning tomorrow !

No comments:

Post a Comment