Saturday, September 5, 2026

Here we’ens come

  •  This “American”adventure has been a corker. Our flight was delayed 4 times in Indy and then again after a 30 min walk from gate A___to gate F24.  I have been beaten to death by everyone walking by and don’t even mention the flight attendants. Definitely less space here too.  The flight from Philly was actually a comfortable amount of space and this one feels like I am jammed into a straight jacket.  

I carefully packed so I could get to the items I wanted and some entitled woman jammed her bag into the overhead pushing mine so far back that without total evacuation of the compartment I could not access it.  Triumphantly I remembered that I at least had one of my medication packets in my purse and between delivery of a cup of lukewarm (honestly I don’t have temperature issues) tea and someone expectantly sticking a garbage collector under my nose I didn’t  have time to take them.  Now to get through immigration and onto the bus.


It took forever to get our bags after a fairly efficient immigration.  We quickly found the CIE guy, John, who led us to a coffee shop to wait. He waits he’d be back about 9:30-10.  WHICH has come and gone.  

I ordered a coffee at the Black Sheep Coffee shop, banana carmel and let me just tell you! 




 Better than…….?  And so we wait.  We have met a lovely couple from Philly who is wondering with us where is John???


The start it not so auspicious,  we got let out WITH our bags to schlep than about a block through construction to a place that looks absolutely nothing like the website.  We are not impressed.

Later a trip around the city getting out at Glasgow Cathedral and the necropolis behind it.  

 


Lister did his germ busting research here and this is him. 

It was a bit of a trip up to the top but the view was lovely.  Back at the ranch we had dinner of chicken terrine, chicken with some pretty yummy au gratin potatoes, green beans and blaggis.  I wanted to try haggis and maybe this was diving in the deep end, but it was really pretty good.  Though I have a feeling that all haggis is not created equal.  For desert sticky toffee pudding!  Bath and bed!





St Mungo the patron saint of Glasgow Cathederal had 4 miracles and this is a ditty to help remember them.

Here is the bird that never flew

Here is the tree that never grew

Here is the bell that never rang

Here is the fish that never swam[9]

There are light poles with decorative fish on them referring to:  The Fish: refers to the story about Queen Languoreth of Strathclyde who was suspected of infidelity by her husband. King Riderch demanded to see her ring, which he claimed she had given to her lover. In reality the King had thrown it into the River Clyde. Faced with execution she appealed for help to Mungo, who ordered a messenger to catch a fish in the river. On opening the fish, the ring was miraculously found inside, which allowed the Queen to clear her name.

The story our guide gave us was not the same, also not as miraculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment